How to Add Metadata to Image Files
Last Updated on March 7, 2022 by
Adding metadata to your images plays a vital role to rank your product. Often we try a lot of methods to rank our products online but we do not follow some basic but very important rules. Adding Metadata is such an important thing to consider when you do SEO for your products. It also helps you to rank your product and protect your image files. In this article, we will guide you on how you can add metadata to your images.
Before jumping to the metadata adding procedure, let’s have some more ideas about metadata and its importance.
What is metadata?
Metadata is essentially data about data. So, image metadata is data about an image file, Metadata can contain all sorts of information, including:
- The name of your file
- The date and time of the image
- Additional tags or keywords that describe your image
- A star rating
- Your company name
- Your website URL
Metadata describes two different types of data: Exchangeable Image File Format (EXIF) and International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC).
EXIF data is automatically recorded by your camera. This type of metadata contains information that allows different devices to understand your media file, like resolution, date and time, and the make and model of the device it was captured on.
IPTC data can be entered by you, the creator of the file. It’s where you can add contextual information, like the company who produced the image. When people talk about adding metadata to an image, they’re talking about IPTC data.
Why is metadata important?
- Metadata provides key details about image files that make it easier for people and software to organize and understand them. Metadata gets embedded in the file. Wherever that image or video goes, the metadata goes with it.
- As a copyright owner, this is especially valuable. It offers you a way to protect your images, and your copyright, in case anyone ever tries to use them without your permission.
- For businesses with large libraries of images, metadata also helps with digital asset management, as you can more easily search for images based on keywords in the metadata.
- Speaking of keywords, metadata also helps search engines like Google understand your images better. Just like adding alt text for SEO, the more data you can give Google about your image, the better.
Procedure of Adding Metadata to Images using Photoshop:
Step-1: Targeted image open on the Photoshop and click on File→ File Info
Step-2: Fill up the required fields –
- Document Title
- Author Title
Step-3: After adding metadata, save the image
Step-4: Now you can see thegeneral difference between Before adding metadata on image and after adding metadata on image.
Adding Metadata to Images Directly, No Need to Use Any Photo Editor!
There’s another way, you can add metadata to the image directly, no need to edit through photoshop.
Step 1: Right click on the image and click on Properties
Step 2: Now go to the Details section to add the metadata. You can add Title, Subject, Ratings, Tags, Author, Copyright and then click OK to save the data
By using the procedure, you can not add the image description. So if you want to add all the info, you can definitely go for the first procedure (Use photoshop)
To sum up, we have shown you the easiest way to add metadata to your images and get a higher rank of your products. Hope so, you can understand the whole procedure of adding metadata on image. If you have any queries regarding image processing, contact us by commenting on the below section.